The kids were really hungry after school, so I had to act fast! This Mac and cheese makeover really hit the spot for them. And I’ll do anything to add veggies to any dish. Enter spinach and mushrooms. The textures and flavors go really well with this dish!
Macaroni and Cheese-madeover!
- 8 oz pasta (shells, spirals etc.) go for an organic authentic pasta if you can find it.
- 1/2 C. sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 C. pepper jack cheese
- 2 C. cooked spinach
- 1 C. sautéed mushrooms
- 1 tomato diced
- 1/2 t. turmeric
- 1 scoop coconut cream (the thick stuff out of a can)
- salt and pepper
- 1-3 T. butter
- Cook pasta according to package instructions
- meanwhile, sauté mushrooms and spinach in 1-2 T. butter ( I used 1/2 bag of spinach. It shrinks down quite a bit. Feel free to use the whole bag)
- Drain pasta when it's aldente and put back in pan on stove over low heat.
- Stir in the coconut cream and the cheeses.
- Sprinkle and mix in the turmeric. This is a great anti-inflammatory spice that adds a nice yellow color to the Mac and cheese.
- Add in the spinach and mushrooms
- Season with salt and pepper
- Top with diced tomato
© 2021 Copyright Health Coach Heather