This weeks theme on all my Facebook and Instagram posts was solely focused on hydration. It’s a basic concept really, yet one many of us have such a hard time with. We think we’re hydrated as we’re drinking our crystal light or diet coke, but those “other drinks” are actually causing more problems for you.
As an adult male or female, your body is made up of 55%-60% water. It’s critical that you have water flowing through your cells all day long to help flush out toxins, keep you hydrated, & help your body have more energy and perform at optimal levels. Here are just a few of the benefits of drinking half your body weight in ounces of water each day. (I would just get used to carrying around a gallon of water and drinking it throughout the day. This will help you gauge how much you’re actually drinking.)
- Helps prevent cancer. My uncle Brent is a really cool guy. One day he was telling me how much he hates to drink water. He said he wanted to “save the water” so if there were ever a shortage, his body would be used to NOT drinking it. At first, I thought he was joking because he really is a funny guy. But as we kept talking, he most definitely was serious. He wasn’t drinking hardly any water. A few months later he found out he had cancer ( I think it was bone cancer in his knee…can’t remember). It scared him pretty good. As a health coach, I challenged him to drink more water. We talked about upping his veggies and reducing beef and pork. He followed a strict protocol for eating mostly organic veggies and drinking herbal teas and water. Today, he is in the clear…cancer free.
- Helps stabilize your mood. Are you a person who has mood swings. One minute you’re happy, one minute you’re lashing out at someone? You might be dehydrated. Help balance those hormones by drinking more and more water each day.
- Lose weight. By simply drinking a glass of water 20 minutes before each meal, you’ll be prone to eating less food + realize that maybe you’re not really hungry but rather, thirsty! You’ll lose weight by drinking more water.
- Helps with joint pain. Drinking water can flush out bad bacteria in your body and help reduce inflammation. This can help with your joint pain
- Prevents headaches. Do you get headaches often? You definitely need to focus on drinking more water. Even if you think you’re getting plenty now, drink more. Dehydration can bring on some nasty headaches.
- Makes skin glow. Want to have acne free skin and help with wrinkles? DRINK MORE WATER! Giving up sugary drinks and sodas will help tremendously as well.
I can’t leave this post without talking about the benefits of drinking lemon water. Especially hot lemon water first thing in the morning. Lemon water provides the body with electrolytes which are hydrating. Lemons contain good amount of electrolytes such as potassium, calcium and magnesium.
Water with lemon cleanses the liver. Lemon water stimulates the liver to release toxins.
Water with Lemon helps fight infections of the respiratory tract, sore throats and inflammation of the tonsils. This is due to the anti-inflammatory properties of lemon.
Warm water with lemon helps regulate natural bowel movement. I can attest to this. You want to be having regular bowel movements each day, within an hour or two of waking up in the morning.
Water with lemon relieves heartburn. For this, mix a teaspoon of lemon juice in half a glass of water. It can also help with kidney stones.
Water with lemon helps with tooth pain and gingivitis. Who knew?
So many benefits to drinking water and lemon water. But I also want to mention spa waters and herbal tea’s. Both have incredible benefits giving the body added boosts of vitamins and minerals as well as hydrating and boosting the immune system. I drink herbal tea every single day to help curb cravings and detox my liver. I am being more mindful each and every day to drink more water. You’ll know by the color of your urine. It should be clear to light light yellow in color.
Are you drinking enough water? What are some ways you’re remembering to drink it daily? Do you use a water app or timer? I’d love to hear your thoughts.
Resources used for this post: https://livingtraditionally.com/20-reasons-drink-lemon-water-mornings-1/